Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s Hunting and Angling Awareness Programs offer clinics and seminars throughout the year to give new and experienced sportsmen the opportunity to learn or improve their skills. .
CPW hunter education programs offered more than 300 supervised hunts statewide in 2021. The program also includes sponsoring agency programs that nonprofits can apply for and makes dream hunt licenses available to young people suffering from mental illness. life-threatening illness or injury, through sponsoring agencies.
On the angling side, CPW has hosted more than 100 angling clinics statewide and helped introduce nearly 3,000 people to the sport of angling. These clinics include hot water, fly fishing, children’s events, and ice fishing. Additionally, CPW distributes approximately 6,000 free fishing rods throughout the state each year.
For 2022, there are already 73 fishing clinics planned in the Denver metro area alone.
These hunting and angling clinics and seminars are informative and educational, with experienced guest speakers and CPW experts, and they provide a setting in which to meet others with similar interests and goals.
Seminars are usually held in the classroom and cover specific topics such as Hunting 101 for a variety of species or really all the skills needed to be a safe, ethical and successful hunter. Some of the seminars are offered virtually via Zoom and can be found online at CPW YouTube Channel.
Clinics are generally more hands-on and often take place in the field, at the range or on the water, sometimes even on the ice (click here for a video about an Ice Fishing 101 clinic at Eleven Mile State Park). They are generally geared towards fishing, shooting, archery, hunting, or basic outdoor skills. Often, all necessary materials are provided to participants and are free of charge.
“We provide that aspect of mentorship and education to help you get started and give you some confidence so you can go out on your own safely and effectively,” said Pepper Canterbury, hunting and fishing coordinator at the line for CPW’s northeast region.
Last year, Canterbury offered 80 field days for big and small game hunting, many of which came from CPW’s Novice Pheasant Hunter Program (NPHP).
[WATCH] Video introducing CPW’s Novice Pheasant Hunter program
the Novice Pheasant Hunter Program, for adults and young people over 12, supports new hunters, with detailed knowledge of pheasant hunting, hands-on experience in the field and quality instruction on a trap range. Students must complete three hours of classroom instruction and a half-day field session to receive a Walk-In Vehicle Access Permit (WIA) from the NPHP. Guided hunts are available during pheasant hunting season for students who want additional instruction.
When we can’t meet face-to-face to work on our skills, the Hunter Outreach Program also offers a Learn to Hunt online series. You can watch recordings from the past Learn to Hunt Webinars on our YouTube Playlist.
Upcoming Colorado Basic Outdoor Hunting and Fishing Courses include:
- Planning Your Big Game Hunting 101 Zoom Webinar – March 22, 6:30-8 p.m.
- Application 101 – March 30, 5:30-7pm – at CPW’s Southeast Region office in Colorado Springs
- Turkey Hunting 101 – March 31, 5:30-8:30 p.m. – at Lake Pueblo State Park
- Big Game Bids Open House – March 31, 6-9pm – at the CPW office in Grand Junction
- Fly Fishing 101 – April 17, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Lake Lehow by Waterton Canyon (Littleton, Colorado)
- Ladies Night Out: Backcountry Gear and Trip Planning – April 21, 6 p.m. – CPW office in Denver
- Beginner Fly Fishing Clinic – April 23, 9am-3pm – Kassler Center at Waterton Canyon (Littleton, Colorado)
- Beginner’s Warm Water Fishing Clinic – April 30, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. – Buckingham Lake to Loveland
- Novice Pheasant Hunter Program – Morning Session May 21 – Wellington State Wildlife Area
- Novice Pheasant Hunter Program – Afternoon Session May 21 – Wellington State Wildlife Area
- Novice Pheasant Hunter Program – Morning Session June 5 – Barr Lake State Park
- Novice Pheasant Hunter Program – Afternoon Session June 5 – Barr Lake State Park
- Ladies Night Out Archery Clinic 101 – June 15, 6-8pm – Barr Lake State Park
For a complete list of clinics and seminars offered, please visit our website at click here.
To follow Hunter Outreach on Instagram to stay up to date with new webinars, apps, season reminders and more.